Thursday, August 21, 2014

Week 1: My Storybook Favorites

The first storybook that caught my attention was Miss Porcupine's Therapy Show. I clicked on the link to this storybook based on my curiosity of the significance of using a porcupine at the leading character in a mythology and folklore course. After reading the introduction, I thought that the author's idea of presenting each of her stories using a talk show was a very interesting approach. I also thought that it was fun that the author used undergraduates as the talk show audience since her online audience were also undergraduates.
As for the design, I thought that the author did a beautiful job. The title of the storybook looked fantastic and I loved the red theme!

The second storybook that I found an interest in was Goddess Talk, which - to my surprise - was written by a friend of mine! I thought that the authors webpage design was very nice and made me think an old Roman script. Her introduction was also captivating enough to leave me in suspense and wanting to read more to get the whole story. I think that being able to allude to future plots for the stories in the introduction is an important skill as a writer.

The final storybook I picked for this assignment was E! True Hollywood Story: Women of the Bible. I feel like it was a very bold move for the author to mix the very gossip oriented show, E! with women from the Bible! In regards to the page design, I thought that the opening page had a very beautiful picture, but I was expecting something a little more "snappy" since the title had E! in it. This author also utilized a talk show style storybook, which I felt would be a little awkward at first, but after reading the introduction, I thought that it read very nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment