Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Week 1: Un-Textbook Rambles

Week 4: Since I took the Indian Epics course over a year ago, I thought it would be really fun to look back at some of the stories from the Ramayana.  So for week 4, I plan to test my memory and utilize the information I already have for my writing assignments.

Week 6: After spending three weeks in Haiti this summer, I learned quite a bit about their beliefs in voodoo as a religion. Voodoo arose from the slaves coming from different parts of Africa and other countries where they were previously slaves and ending up in Haiti where they did not all speak the same language or hold the same religious beliefs. Voodoo became their mixture of belief that was held very dearly as a tool to help them get through their hard lives. I think that some stories from the voodoo culture would be incredibly interesting to read more about. For that reason, I have chosen Western African Folktales as my reading for week 6.

Week 9: For this week I would have liked to read some folktales about the Choctaw culture, since that is the Native American culture I am most familiar with, but I guess branching out of the bubble is not such a bad thing either! So I have chosen to read about the Indian culture I know the least about - the Alaskan (Judson) Indian stories.

Week 11 and 12: I am very excited for these two weeks! I traveled to several counties in the British Isles a few years ago and was fascinated by the land and the culture. Because Scotland and Whales were two of my favorites, I have chosen to read The Celtic Fairy Tales one week and The Welsh Tales (Thomas) for the other. I think that it will be interesting to learn more about the dynamics of their cultures based on these stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment