Thursday, October 2, 2014

Storytelling for Week 7: The Selfish Turtle

There once was a turtle named Larry and a man named Matthew who worked hard together to build a town for them to share. During the time that they made their home, the labor made them close friends. However, this was not to last for very long.

"Larry, did you think to plant any food?" Matthew questioned.

"Not yet, but I'm starving too," Larry answered.

This went on for a few days until the pair were quite short of temper and extremely ravenous.

"Why don't we build a few traps and see if we can catch anything to eat. I will set one on this side of the town and you set one on that side," Larry told Matthew.

The next morning, Matthew's trap was empty, but Larry's trap had caught an antelope!

"I cannot lift this antelope out of the trap all alone and if I allow Matthew to help me do it then I will have to share my catch with him" Larry thought to himself. "I know! I will throw a party and have everyone except Matthew come to dance around the antelope and let them think that they will be receiving a piece. Then I can lure one of the big dumb animals out of the group to carry the antelope to my house by telling it that is where I will cook the meat for everyone!" Larry thought with a sly smile.

An hour later, almost fifty animals were dancing around the pit with glee. They were finally to get a little food in their bellies! Larry scanned the crowd carefully for an animal to carry the antelope and finally spotted a large ox that would be perfect for the job.

(Robert, the Ox. Web Source: Wikipedia)


"Rob!" Larry called to the great ox. "Would you come over here for a second, please?"

"Sure, Larry. What do you need?" Rob answered.

"I need for you to help me carry the antelope to my house so that I may cook the meat for everyone. I will give you a larger portion for your help!" Larry asked.

"Of course," Rob answered gleefully.

Once the meat was safely tucked away in Larry's home, Larry turned to Rob and said, "Will you please go an fetch some leaves to wrap everyone's meat in?"

"Of course," Rob answered.

When Rob returned, Larry's doors were all locked and he was not responding to any of Rob's calls.

Now Rob, being an ox, is very quick to anger and was not pleased with being tricked. So he charged back down the hill to the celebrating animals and told them of Larry's treachery. Together, the enraged group stormed Larry's home, crushing it to pieces. Larry fled the scene in fear without a bite to eat and all of the animals got their fair share of food.

Author's Note: For this story, I transformed the tale of the Turtle and the Man from the Congo Unit into something with a bit less gruesome and happier of an ending. In almost all of the Congo tales that I read, any character that did something wrong was murdered in the story. So for my story, I gave the turtle, man, and ox names so that a better connection could be built with them. I also used the ox to call all of the animals to the turtles house to take back the meat instead of having the turtle trick the ox and kill him as it was in the original story. I also had the turtle flee the scene alive instead of meeting his doom by the teeth of the leopard he had also tricked. Overall, I wanted to make the story a little more digestible by letting the "good guy" win and the "bad guy" fail. I guess you can call me a sucker for happy endings!


5 comments:

  1. Jordan, I definitely appreciated your happier ending. I read the original and am glad that you didn't have the turtle get beheaded--the poor thing!
    You captured the essence of the original story, and really conveyed the fact that the turtle was a trickster. Tricksters don't usually have the best reputation, and this turtle was no different, so I'm glad you chose to end your story the way you did. Great job overall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jordan,

    I did not read this unit but it seems pretty interesting. I really liked the way you wrote the commentary. I think it is interesting that the turtle is the trickster. I would not think that based off of past animal stories I have read. Most of the time it seems to be a fox. Overall you did a great job Jordan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jordan, I am the same way! If given an option, I usually like to let the good guy win and the bad guy be punished! I have to admit, I was really waiting for karma to come back and bite Larry. What a jerk! I really liked how you took the story and made it your own - it does seem like a lot of these myths have some pretty gruesome ending, doesn't it! That's the cool thing about doing these retelling. If there's a part that you don't like, you can just change it! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Jordan.

    I really enjoyed reading through your retelling of The Turtle and the Man! Although I did not read the Congo unit, I feel as if I have read a TON of stories that have cunning animals in them. The trickster has been a very prominent character in this class, and I often find myself hoping the trickster gets what he deserves! However, like you, I am all about happy endings and don’t typically like for characters to be murdered, even if they do deserve it. Anyways, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jordan, I did not read the Congo unit, but I have also noticed the brutality of many of these folk stories. I enjoyed your happy ending and love to see the good guy win and bad guy lose. It is very frustrating to see how the trickster treat people in all of these stories, but I guess that is the lesson to be learned.

    ReplyDelete