Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Essay for Week 12: The Future of Writing

When I think about the future of writing I often thing of it in the form of technology. People are becoming more used to reading their book from a kindle, iPad, laptop, etc., and less from actual physical books. I don't know about any one else, but I guess I am pretty old school when it comes to enjoying feeling the pages of a book as I flip each page. I also love seeing the bookmark travel further and further into the book (until it gets closer to the end and I want to just stop moving so I can enjoy the book longer)! Technology has sort of stolen that aspect of reading away. I will say though, that when I traveled to Haiti this summer and had very little packing space, my parent's kindle came into great use for bringing multiple books with me without having to force them all into a tiny carry on!
Another aspect of writing that I believe will decline because of technology over the years is the ability for students to write professional emails to their professors or to potential employers based on the way we write in text messages. Texts, Facebook statuses, Twitter updates, and Instagram captions can all be so informal by using abbreviations and acronyms. I think that young adults who overuse these social media platforms will have more difficulty with understanding how to write professionally.

(Technology Possessing the World. Image by: Pj93)

1 comment:

  1. I agree with this essay in its entirety. I can't tell you how difficult social media has made the English language, and it was already rather difficult to begin with. I, also, am a fan of feeling the book, flipping through the pages, and even so much as actually going to the book store and purchasing the book. Going back to text speak, I can't tell you how tough it is for me to spell some words nowadays, thanks to texting and social media.

    ReplyDelete