Friday, November 21, 2014

Famous Last Words for Week 14

Well everyone, here it is - my last assignment for this class. It has been so much fun to use this class as my creative outlet this semester. As a science major, most of my papers are research based. This means making a structured paper with an obvious INTRODUCTION title, PURPOSE, METHODS, and - well, you get the point. Yes, this course has been a bit demanding in terms of the workload, but the fact that I could work ahead, could do extra credit, and could miss an assignment here or there without worry completely made up for it! My grammar still may not be the best and I may not always know exactly where my commas and dashes go, but this class has certainly improved those areas of my writing.
Not only has this class been a creative outlet for me, but it has also enhanced my writing in other areas. Over the course of this semester, I have been filling out secondary application letters to various medical schools that include many short essays. I truly believe that my essays would not have been as good as they were without the help of writing stories for this class. I think that my creative spin to those medical school essays helped to make my application stand out. So far, I have received two interviews and one acceptance into medical school and am still expecting more to come!

(Mock lab at Campbell School of Osteopathic Medicine. Web Source: The Sanford Herald)

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Jordan, that is so exciting that you already have one acceptance: congratulations!!! And I hope you will get good news from your other applications too! It makes me really happy that this class could help with that. The medical profession is one where storytelling in all its forms really can make a big difference, and I am sure your storytelling talents will be valuable. THANK YOU for your Storybook this semester (I had so much fun with that and I learned a LOT from the stories you chose to tell - new to me!), and I will go mark the Gradebook now with the final grade so you can be sure you are done. I hope all goes well in your other classes for the end of the semester!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am extremely excited to know that I have somewhere to go next year and that I won't just be in limbo! I have suggested this class to many of my friends that I believe could really benefit from a little break from scientific writing! I'm so glad that you enjoyed my storybook this semester. I have a lot of fun learning about the Netherlands! It is a huge goal of mine to actually travel there someday! Thanks again for a wonderful semester!

      Delete
    2. Oh, I hope you will get to go there soon AND often, Jordan! Amsterdam is full of delights... and it is so easy to travel all around the country too. Sights to see, food to eat, and such nice people. You will have a fabulous time, and I hope you won't have to wait too long for that to happen! :-)

      Delete