Sunday, November 2, 2014

Famous Last Words for Week 11: The Creative Mind

As the end of this semester draws closer and closer, I have discovered that this course has rekindled my ability to write creatively. As a science major, I often get very caught up with the facts and statistics of my topic that will go into my papers and lose a lot of the creativity. Having the ability to use this course not only as a way to let my imagination run wild, but also as a way to practice putting my imagination on paper (figuratively speaking). I have noticed that doing this each week through this course, my creative writing has spilled over to my other classes in a very rewarding way. I often receive compliments from my professors saying that my writing style is refreshing to read and a nice break from the generic bland scientific papers that normally read. Being able to add my personality to my papers makes them far more interesting for me to write and more enjoyable for those who have to read them. It's been interesting to come to the realization that the learning process is far more important than the letter received for my efforts. When that finally clicked for me, classes became more interesting and I retained more of what was being taught, thus still obtaining the grades that I previously crammed and procrastinated for. I am very grateful to have the opportunity to be in a class that pushes me to be creative, but does not grade on her definition of imagination. It's a really amazing way of running the class, that if taken advantage of as a student can be very rewarding.

(Open Mind. Web Source: Openclipart)

No comments:

Post a Comment